[img: a still of the actress emma watson as hermione granger from the film harry potter and the deathly hallows: part I. white text overtop says, “I hope for Hermione that she found a great job, soemthing that was worth all the studying. I hope that she didn’t end up like Molly.]
tech is editing for those who don’t know!
Hermione went back to school and got her NEWTs and she worked her way through the ministry. Starting in the Dept. for the regulation and control of magical creatures where she continued her work with SPEW and helped gain rights for underprivileged non-humans. Then she went high in the the Dept. of Magical Law Enforcement where she eradicated pureblood biased laws and (along with Harry and Ron) revolutionised the Ministry and helped reform the wizarding world. SO I THINK ALL HER STUDYING PAYED OFF =3
HERMIONE IS A REVOLUTIONARY.
hermione is such a badass.
alright, i’m about to go on a long theoretical HP rant, so feel free to skip over if you don’t want to be bored to death.
in reading this, i think that in order for it to be possible for “pureblood biased laws” to be “eradicated”, the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy (ISWS) would have to be altered in the process, if not reinterpreted, at least for england (since that’s where hermione, ron, & harry are working).
assuming the following are true:
- wizarding & muggle societies became officially segregated from one another with the enactment of the ISWS in 1692
- the ISWS pressured even families in opposition to the law, like the malfoys (due to their investment in profiting off of muggle monetary investments), to strengthen their bonds with other wizarding families, formulate a stronger sense of community and shared history (via the creation of all-wizarding villages & fields of study such as history of magic), and minimize their interaction with muggles in any fashion
- the ISWS legislates even minor behavioral functions of wizards in the presence of muggles, such as specific outlines for appropriate styles of dress (one of the largest sources of infractions within the ISWS)
- each individual ministry of magic is held responsible for ensuring that its citizens comply with the ISWS
- pureblood supremacy, while decried & resisted by many wizards of all blood statuses, is firmly entrenched in the wizarding world, meaning that wizard-wizard (W-W) pairings are seen as more socially acceptable or valued in general (because of their near-assured reproduction of more pureblood wizards)
- while we cannot determine if wizard-muggle (W-M) pairings are a hotbed issue comparable to the US’ constant battles over gay marriage, we can at least come to the conclusion that these relationships face more extensive hardships than W-W ones do (potential pressure/force from family to not intermarry with muggles, fear of telling fellow wizards of their W-M relationship lest they harbor pureblood supremacist beliefs, how to determine when (and if) to disclose one’s status as a wizard to a muggle partner, etc.)
one could then, by extension, assume that
- england, as an independent nation included within the ISWS, would pressure its citizens via individualized punishments/sanctions to not disclose the existence of the wizarding world (and thus one’s status as a wizard) to any (english) muggles, lest england become the source of mass muggle revolt against wizardkind - in turn, this creates an atmosphere of specified nationalism/patriotism in which each english wizard is seen as responsible for doing their part in protecting their fellow wizarding citizens from harm, and turning W-M relationships into politically-contested (and potentially government-regulated?) terrain
- each W-M pairing, particularly ones that result in child bearing, place pressure on the wizard to disclose their magical status to their partner, thus putting them in direct breach of the ISWS - it may be worth noting that many wizarding folk choose not to disclose their status (see: merope gaunt, who sedated/controlled the muggle tom riddle sr. with love potions in order to procreate with him) and/or break off engagements with muggles to avoid this issue (see: minerva mcgonagall), but those that enter into the confines of marriage and/or childbearing generally tell their spouses of their magical ability out of necessity
in sum: changing pureblood laws and attitudes towards half-bloods (and muggle-borns, by extension, though indirectly) means that attitudes/laws (the ISWS & beyond) surrounding the miscegenation/intermingling of wizards and muggles, as the sources of half-blood wizards, would also have to be scaled back to allow for W-M pairings to flourish; cause if you’re gonna get rid of pureblood supremacy, you’re gonna have to complement that with non-pureblood support. and that means being more lenient about who wizards can tell about their magical status and lessening the barriers between W-M relationships in the first place.
even though, legally, mindsets towards W-M relationships can’t be regulated, i’d hope that this could spur some resources & support tactics for wizards in relationships with muggles who are trying to make the decision to come out of the magical closet, so to speak (i dream of mixed blood/intermagic family counseling services included in health insurance & DIY ‘what to do if yer partner is a wizard’ zines being produced…).
on a related note, the confession OP better be thankful that i’m not unpacking the bullshit career woman/housewife duality showcased here in depicting molly weasley’s life as being of a lower quality than hermione’s (potential) adult one. i’ve got a wizarding homeschooling/what-the-fuck-do-pureblood-wizard-kids-do-before-turning-11 rant that i’m gonna save for another time. point being: fuck you if you think molly weasley was any less of a goddamn revolutionary or influence than grown-ass hermione or any other ministry witches just cause she did her work in the home instead of in an office - somebody’s gotta make sure the revolution gets fed, you know? i’m not having any of that shit directed at a legit member of the order of the phoenix, front-line fighter at the battle of hogwarts (she killed bellatrix fucking lestrange, for fuck’s sake), mother of the arguably most radical & active anti-pureblood supremacy family in english history, and overall ride-or-die witch, thankyouveryfuckingmuch.
I bolded that because THAT.
336 Notes/ Hide
- scully-in-a-coma reblogged this from theirseitanicmajesties
- bedba reblogged this from cryptohomorocker
- marianns likes this
- samarasage likes this
- june-meatcleaver likes this
- tardispectre likes this
- confusementation likes this
- butchdragon reblogged this from shatteredking and added:
- lauranja reblogged this from accioloveronhermione
- pequenos-brilhos reblogged this from accioloveronhermione
- criativename reblogged this from accioloveronhermione
- courseoflife reblogged this from accioloveronhermione and added:
- thewisdomsdaughter reblogged this from accioloveronhermione
- celtictechnoburrito likes this
- accioloveronhermione reblogged this from lillywmw
- dementeddementor reblogged this from mypatronusisacupcake
- midnightonthefiringline likes this
- khajida likes this
- specialagentspooky likes this
- perseidbadger likes this
- eighthgradesleepover likes this
- rrruining likes this
- ohmontymonty reblogged this from rainbowchardkittenpants
- analogbrain reblogged this from rainbowchardkittenpants and added:
- ghoulofyourdreams reblogged this from rainbowchardkittenpants
- ohmontymonty likes this
- qkazoo reblogged this from rainbowchardkittenpants
- nicalea likes this
- momoin reblogged this from rainbowchardkittenpants and added:
- rainbowchardkittenpants reblogged this from notyrqueer
- notyrqueer reblogged this from hunterbadger and added:
- jane-potter reblogged this from sunshinesounds
- thelittlequeerthatcould likes this
- ilaeria reblogged this from sleepydumpling and added:
- butchdragon likes this
- cheshyjohnson reblogged this from gothgirlsgotogivenchy and added:
- themisse reblogged this from gothgirlsgotogivenchy
- shatteredking reblogged this from kalemason and added:
- schwarzes-entlein likes this
- afvandevorst likes this
- gothgirlsgotogivenchy reblogged this from hunterbadger
- musingsdeme likes this
- hunterbadger reblogged this from clatterandclank
- liztheturtle likes this
- foxxandthefeline likes this
- prossibly reblogged this from sleepydumpling and added:
- offerupthedeep reblogged this from sleepydumpling
- scarletsunshine likes this
- von-questenberg reblogged this from timemachineyeah
- sleepydumpling reblogged this from therotund and added: