i saw this earlier and LOVED IT but then the person posted the artist’s motivation/inspiration and it filled me with such intense rage.
from their diviantart, emphasis mine:
I’ve seen numerous fanarts of Velma, depicting her as some über curvy and sexy and geeky fantasy material… and for some reason, I wanted to draw the opposite - a tubby Velma, an out of shape Velma, a having-finished-with-the-mystery-squad-letting-herself-go Velma… I mean, that happens, right? People get done with what they think are their glory days and kind of just… exist instead of living.
So here we have Velma that’s been stood up on a date. I picture this being her first date with that particular guy, but not the first time she’s been abandoned like that.
Instead of distress, I wanted to show her as being used to this sort of thing by now - she’s gotten into a habit of bringing a book along with her, even. I would say she never held out much hope for succeeding with the date tonight, but, nevertheless, tried to make herself look nice. She’s not grieving much, as her outlook on the whole situation is rather removed and philosophical after so many failures.
I wonder why she keeps trying?
when i saw this, i was like “oh man! this is awesome! look at velma looking a-may-zing in that great dress, drinking a glass of wine, reading a book. looks like paradise!”
but the artist made this thinking “velma lets her self go, gets fat, and then gets stood up on dates. and she is so used to being treated like garbage, that she just assumes it will happen, and brings a book” because that’s totally what happens, right? you get fat and nobody wants to hang out with you or date you or be seen with you??
this artist is a fucking dumb-ass.
“I’ve seen numerous fanarts of Velma, depicting her as some über curvy and sexy and geeky fantasy material… and for some reason, I wanted to draw the opposite.” well BUMMER DUDE because that is actually exactly what you did.
What an asshole (the artist, not the commenters). She looks fabulous.
I wonder if the artist has any idea what they’ve created here - which is actually a pretty apt commentary in that, hey, here’s this woman who a lot of people think is totally awesome, who is completely attractive, who seems pretty self-sufficient and has had a lot of interesting things going on in her life - but, oh, man, she’s “used to” being stood up so she just takes it like it’s her due and doesn’t ever question why it’s supposed to be her fault. This artist has created a portrait of so many fat people that I know who are AWESOME and who genuinely believe that there is something wrong with them morally and socially because they’ve been told time and again that being fat is some kind of mortal sin.
And, yeah, we get all up in arms about “confidence is sexy” because, hey, it’s a fucking cliche. But there really are self-fulfilling prophecies; we learn not to see people flirt with us because we don’t believe anyone could possibly flirt with us. We hate our own bodies because, hey, we’re supposed to, right?
And meanwhile, to some objective observer, this fat woman in this picture is just hanging out, looking fly, reading a book and drinking some wine.
One of the most effective tools of oppression is to make the oppressed believe it is their fault, that they deserve it. And fat people are really fucking good at hating ourselves.
tl;dr: love the picture, think the artist is probs a fat-hating douche who has helped perpetuate the loathing so many fat people feel for themselves. Good times.
76129 Notes/ Hide
- candenikaruto likes this
- kelpgirl likes this
- shira-brie likes this
- themamassao likes this
- missleahbrianne likes this
- arttiger likes this
- rusesymbiotic likes this
- dangerhumming reblogged this from worldas-iseeit
- dangerhumming likes this
- vladtheimpalainvalhalla likes this
- strigexlibris reblogged this from alvadee
- worldas-iseeit reblogged this from the-fandom-dealer
- xxkatxxinsanityxx reblogged this from thesirentrick
- animstud reblogged this from alvadee
- animstud likes this
- the-fandom-dealer reblogged this from thesirentrick
- the-fandom-dealer likes this
- batmanseyeliner reblogged this from alvadee
- cocoamilkshot likes this
- amitoperfect reblogged this from captainfangirl13
- alicornwithsuicidalfeelings reblogged this from membrillita
- hannahsownlittlewonderland likes this
- frecklesandfeathers likes this
- frecklesandfeathers reblogged this from alvadee
- losing-face reblogged this from w1nterfell
- w1nterfell reblogged this from violet-amporas
- captainfangirl13 reblogged this from thesirentrick
- azilsito likes this
- darthlobo likes this
- highkingpetermagnificent likes this
- reindorks likes this
- allofthejenn likes this
- thesirentrick reblogged this from alvadee
- kittythegrimm likes this
- bludhavenbird likes this
- hlizy likes this
- sinistergloom likes this
- creepylunaofmars likes this
- alvadee reblogged this from annabellioncourt
- avis--praeda likes this
- normaniel reblogged this from egames170
- normaniel likes this
- hemmo1996lovemikeashcal reblogged this from tacosinthetardis
- hemmo1996lovemikeashcal likes this
- bi-femme reblogged this from lady-brown
- beautifulnerdyladiez likes this
- losefob reblogged this from holytrinidad
- losefob likes this
- olafurneal reblogged this from egames170
- olafurneal likes this